Back to the States

I got my bags together. What was nice was that things such a shampoo, lotion, tooth paste, soap, etc. had been mostly used up to completely gone. This meant I had more room for the clothes my family had gotten for me and other gifts –they are so sweet!- and the gifts I’d bought for family and friends back in the States.

It’s always sort of sad though. Because I know the journey has ended. And I’ve learned, what makes it truly sad for me isn’t leaving, because I get to see my family on the other side of the world which I had missed, but that I don’t know a definite time when I’ll be back. That’s scary. A year, two years, three years, four, five, six, seven? ‘Cus at least then there’s a plan….not a, “I have no clue when I’ll get to travel or see my extended family.”

But, in another sense, I think this past summer has taught me to truly try and savor what I have when I have it. And while I still have a lot left to go in terms of learning this lesson, some definite progress has been made over the past months.

I’ll also miss the unexpected spontaneity. I was sick the two times I was in Iasi. And once I got fully better and also found that friends and certain family members were leaving town for work or vacation, my aunt said, why not take the train to see Vlad and hang out there? It was probably 11 or 12 in the morning. She called Vlad, who is her youngest son, and he said it was fine ‘cus he’d be off work by the time I’d get there. Told my mom and packed my duffle bag quickly, then my aunt and I headed to the train station, she remembered the new train schedule. We chatted while I waited. I always enjoy hearing my aunt tell me stories. Got on the train round 2 or 3 and said goodbye. Then a few hours later my cousin picked me up from the station. While I had thought of venturing out some more, I was leaving Romania in a few days, and knew for sure this would be the last time I’d see my cousin. So I just hung out with him and his friends. Then went back to town by train again.

Alright, that was a very long explanation, but the point was that I enjoy being spontaneous. However, back home where there is a schedule which i need to follow, being spontaneous is fun, but it also means it’ll end up with me trying to cram getting things done as a result. So I don’t normally do this. And yes, I might be 23, but it’s always been this way. So I enjoyed it was it lasted, and coming back to the U.S., I’ll keep a little piece of that with me. Try to fit random fun in more.

My family and I said our goodbyes to our family. And headed off into the night by car to the capital. My father’s cousin was nice enough to drive us there in his car. I didn’t sleep much. Maybe two hours. We stopped at a gas station round 2 a.m. or so. I was trying to find where the bathroom was. I really wished I didn’t have a gluten intolerance, or I’d get a hot dog, I thought. I noticed two tired looking young guys in line waiting to pay for their coffees, they were stylishly dressed, and one had tattoos. I noticed the tattoos more so than I would in the U.S., because I hadn’t seen too many people with multiple tattoos. They looked nice. I said excuse me in Romanian as I passed in between them to get to the other side of the store, where the bathroom was, and they made way for me.

As I left the store, I noticed there was a van parked in front. One of the young guys was standing outside, probably waiting for his friend I assumed. I walked over to our car and my mom said, do you know who those guys are? I said, no… –I was really tired, and just focused on the long journey ahead- Well, apparently they are famous musicians, but I’d been too out of it to put a name to their faces. My parent’s waved at them and they waved back. They had probably noticed us staring at them. We each got into our respective cars, and as they turned right, we turned left. And that was my run in with Alex Velea. Thank you sir for not being creeped out by a family staring at you and waving while smiling back.


Airport Morning